Friday, October 23, 2009

In the beginning...

Today I mark the official beginning of my homebuilding experience. No, I'm not building a house. I am building an airplane in my house. Actually, it's in my garage. This is not a model. It's a full-size, four seat, 200 horsepower airplane.

The airplane is a plans built composite canard pusher. That means I'm building it mostly from scratch, made out of fiberglass and epoxy, has a canard wing in the front and the engine/propellor in the back. The design is called the Cozy Mark 4. A man named Nat Puffer designed the plane based on Burt Rutan's design called the Long-Ez. Yes, Burt Rutan; the same guy who recently designed and built the first private spaceship. So, my deisgn has a really nice pedigree.

Why do I mark today as the start? Well, I've really been prepping to build this sucker for about two years. I've got the workshop all setup in the garage (Or Garage-Mahal as Jen likes to call it) and finally saved enough cash to buy the supplies and materials for the first 4 chapters of the construction.

The order arrived via UPS freight last night. I still have a tiny amount of prep to do and then I get started in earnest.

I already pumped my first batch of epoxy during lunch. I didn't build anything. I was setting the ratio and an epoxy dispensing pump I'll be using. Tonigh I'm going to begin with pieces parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment