Saturday, October 24, 2009

Official Start Part 2

I couldn't it. Last night I went into the garage and actually started making my first airplane part.

The Cozy plans are done in chpaters with each chapter building up the previous work. Chapters 1-3 are setup and education. Chapter 4 is the first construction chapter and covered the making f the various fuselage bulkheads. This is where out story picks up...

The first piece you make is the front seatback. It's a simple 3/4" blue pvc foam panel. It's actually overdone but I think the designer did this to expose us newbie to several important construction techniques.

I didn't get very far but I did cut the foam to shape and sanded the first 45deg edge. Yup, that's it. It doesn't seem like much but it's a start. Long journey, first steps, yadda yadda.

I did learn from other builders that I need to tweak my epoxy pump a little more. It's a volumetric pump and it's set at 100:50 The MGS 285 epoxy I'm using is specified by weight. That ratio is 100 : 40 ± 2. When I did my last test run I calculated the weight ratio to be 100:43. So, I'm not within tolerance. I need to make a tiny adjustment to reduce the hardener output a snootch. Anal? You bet; I'm goign to be flying in this plane so I want to be as anal as possible without taking 100 years to complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment